Salt Fat Acid Heat 2021Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
New York Times Best Seller! Chosen Best Culinary Book of 2017 by over 19 publications. Learn how to master four simple elements to determine flavor, texture, and to balance flavor in order to make food delicious.
“Chef and writer, Samin Nosrat, has taught everyone from professional chefs to middle school kids to author Michael Pollan to cook using her revolutionary philosophy.” By learning how and why food tastes and cooks like it does, the author gives readers the tools to make the final dishes excellent.
America’s next great cooking teacher. - Alice Waters, Chef
So much information about how and why adding these four elements will change the foods you cook. Food science meets real-life knowledge and application! – Nicole B. 3/22
Best text about cooking I’ve ever read. - Pamela, Amazon review, 2017
The material was presented in a very practical way, which will make it easy to pass along to people. - TC 4/2020
I liked everything about this course…this book/course explained and discussed the food science behind cooking. - 3/2020
This is by far one of my favorite courses! I am motivated to get back in the kitchen and put Samin’s teachings to good use! - JB 4/2020
I write menus at work as the administrative dietitian and what I learned about cooking and taste was awesome. - 1/2021
Awesome course! I’m always leery of cooking…this course helped. My family appreciates my new found skills. - KP 8/2020
Level 1 & 2 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 1.1.4, 2.2.4, 3.2.2, 4.1.1, 4.2.6, 4.2.7, 6.1.2, 6.2.5, 7.1.3, 7.2.1, 8.1.2, 8.2.2, 8.3.7, 8.4.1, 8.4.2, 8.4.3, 13.2.4
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon successful completion, the users will be able to:
1. Discuss four functions of salt in cooking.
2. Compare and contrast the qualities of the following salts: table salt, Maldon, sea salt, and Diamond Crystal kosher salt.
3. Explain the general rules for salting foods during preparation.
4. Identify the cuisine that uses an abundance of black pepper.
5. Describe four functions of fat in foods or cooking.
6. Explain why the temperature is so important for frying or pan-frying.
7. Discuss two functions of an emulsifier and name two used in foods.
8. Describe three functions of fat in baking.
9. Describe two functions of acid in cooking and name four common acids used in cooking.
10. Define umami and list three foods that are high in it.
11. Identify the temperatures at which the following occurs: surface browning, red meat coagulates, milk coagulates, perception of taste begins to decrease, cakes are baked, and animal fat burns.
12. Describe the ideal function for each source of heat: oven, microwave, stovetop, and broiler.
13. Compare and contrast the following forms of cooking: pan-frying, sauteing, searing, deep-frying, blanching, caramelizing, steaming, poaching, smoking, braising, roasting, and confit.
14. Explain why resting meat after cooking it is so important.
15. Describe the term “anchoring” as it relates to timing when cooking.
Why we chose this book
This highly qualified chef has organized her extensive information and culinary experience into an easy to use and fascinating book on the elements of cooking.
About the author
Chef Samin Nosrat is also a writer and teacher. She has been called “the next Julia Child” by NPR’s All Things Considered.