Nutrition for the Older Adult, 3rd Edition
Totally updated with new health guidelines, case studies, and clinical conditions. Excellent resource for working in hospitals, nursing homes, and public health. Covers the unique physiological changes and nutritional needs of this aging population as well as clinical guidelines.
Discusses changes that naturally occur with aging, and that disease is not a natural consequence of growing older. Poor nutrition is often a contributing factor to compromised health in the elderly, but it can also be the best therapy for improving health issues.
Level 2 & 3 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 1.1.4, 1.3.3, 2.1.1, 2.1.7, 4.1.1, 6.1.2, 8.1.2, 8.1.5, 10.2.4
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon completion of this course, the user will be able to:
1. Identify five nutrition-related challenges facing the aging population.
2. Assess a patient’s nutritional status and how aging has compromised health.
3. Discuss changes due to aging that effect the mouth and gastrointestinal tract.
4. Identify four diseases commonly seen in the elderly that are influenced by changes in a person’s body as he or she ages.
5. Assess the patients’ needs and eating habits to control for signs, symptoms, and diseases of aging.
6. Suggest appropriate medical nutrition therapy intervention for aging patients.
7. Use the Nutrition Care Process and Model to assess, diagnose, intervene, monitor, and evaluate patients and clients with nutrition-related health issues.
Why we chose this book
The first two editions of this book were highly respected and popular with dietitians and other practitioners. Evaluations have been very positive. The Editors and contributing chapter authors are highly qualified and experts in their areas of practice.
About the author
Melissa Bernstein, PhD, RDN, LD, FAND, is at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. Nancy Munoz, DCN, MHA, RDN, LDN, FAND is a lecturer at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and a Clinical Nutrition Manager at Genesis HealthCare, LLC.