Mitochondria and the Future of Medicine 2021The Keys to Understanding Disease, Chronic Illness, Aging, and Life Itself
This book is very readable and attention-grabbing! It is known that many chronic diseases have their roots in dysfunctional mitochondria. Modern research shows nutrition can optimize its function along with other good lifestyle decisions. The book answers the questions: Why at times do antioxidants do more harm than good? What’s the connection between heart disease and Alzheimer’s, or infertility and hearing loss?
The topic of mitochondria may seem dry and uninteresting to the uninitiated, but this book makes mitochondria come to life with vivid descriptions accessible even to those with no training in biology. From infertility to aging to cancer and neurological disease, Dr. Lee Know will teach you that mitochondria playa central role in much that we care about in health and disease. Stephanie Seneff, PhD, Senior research scientist, MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Over the last two and a half decades, more and more researchers and clinicians are finding themselves interested in these little powerhouses and proclaiming themselves “mitochonriacs.” Dr. Lee Know does a brilliant job shedding light on this once ignored organelle and shows us how to care for our most important metabolic system. Dr. Nasha Winters, co-author of The Metabolic Approach to Cancer
Level 2 & 3 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 1.1.4, 1.2.1, 1.3.3, 2.2.4, 3.2.2, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2.6, 4.2.7, 6.1.2, 6.1.9, 6.2.5, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.5, 8.2.3, 8.3.1, 8.3.7, 10.1.1, 10.2.4, 10.2.11, 10.4.2, 10.4.4
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon successful completion, the users will be able to:
1. Explain the mitochondrial theory of aging, and also, its association with degenerative diseases.
2. Describe how energy is created in the cells by fatty acids and glycogen.
3. Explain the electron transport chain and its association with free-radicals and oxygen use.
4. Identify three functions of oxidative phosphorylation.
5. Describe the purpose and process of apoptosis.
6. Define retrograde signaling.
7. Describe three benefits of caloric restriction.
8. Explain four beneficial functions of Coenzyme Q10.
9. Identify the organo most affected by mitochondrial disease.
10. Discuss the role meat plays in mitochondrial function and name the “mitochondrial nutrients.”
11. Explain the function of D-ribose.
12. Identify the compound that can protect mitochondria from oxidative damage and stimulate growth of more mitochondria.
13. Discuss the main function of the following: L-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid, pantothenic acid, and magnesium.
14. Describe the function of resveratrol.
15. Explain the role of brown adipose tissue in human health.
Why we chose this book
This highly qualified practitioner has organized known biochemistry, researched disease processes, and extensive clinical experience into a highly readable and fascinating book on mitochondria and its functions, vulnerabilities, and contributions to health and longevity.
About the author
Dr. Lee Know is a Canadian naturopath practicing in Toronto. He has held positions as medical director, scientific evaluator, and director of R&D for major organizations. He serves on the editorial advisory board for Alive magazine, Canada’s most-read natural health magazine.