Keep SharpBuild a Better Brain at Any Age
New York Times Best Seller! This course is a comprehensive review of the evidence-based research regarding cognitive longevity. Gupta, MD, CNN medical correspondent, discusses protecting the brain from decline and providing resiliency if it has begun. The text provides steps for the reader to help change and maintain the most important behaviors that influence brain health and clarity.
Dr. Sanjay Gupta has the unique ability to translate the latest scientific research into accessible language we can all understand. – Gary Small, MD, Director, UCLA Longevity Center
Gupta is brilliant at busting myths, allaying fears, and giving us the solutions we need to keep sharp throughout our lives. – Dean Ornish, MD, Founder & President, Preventive Medicine Research Institute
A genuine source of practical knowledge and sympathy to those struggling with dementia and the family members who are primary caregivers. – Kirkus Reviews
This is a frontier where we can dramatically improve human life. – Bill Gates
Level 1 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 1.1.1,3.1.5, 2.1.3, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2.7, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.5, 8.2.2, 8.3.1, 8.4.5, 9.1.3, 9.6.8, 10.2.2, 10.2.4, 12.1.1. 12.2.1
CPE Type: 740 Online/Web-based
Upon completion of this course, users will be able to:
- Describe how prevalent Alzheimer’s Disease is in the U.S. and gender and gene associated with higher incidence.
- Name four lifestyle habits and risk factors associated with brain decline.
- Identify the brain’s main fuel source, its composition, the age a person’s brain reaches maturity, and the effect of dehydration.
- Define the following as they relate to the brain: plasticity, hippocampus, cognitive reserve, working memory, and spindles.
- List four early signs of dementia.
- Identify the only factor scientifically documented to improve brain health and function.
- Identify how much exercise is associated with the greatest longevity.
- Explain the relationship between sleep and diabetes.
- Give three ways known to improve a person’s sleep.
- Identify the age when the U-curve hits bottom and significant increases in happiness occur.
- Discuss the food and meal guidelines found to decrease cognitive decline and improve longevity.
- List a health precaution for each: caffeine, alcohol, and artificial sweeteners.
- Name the herb proven by Dr. Small to improve memory and attention.
- Describe three significant effects of having close relationships.
- List five signs of early Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Discuss the effect of taking anticholinergic drugs for three or more years on brain function.
- Describe sundowner’s syndrome.
Why we chose this book
The author is a well-known medical expert and well-respected neurosurgeon who has studied and researched the brain for many decades. He knows its function, and how aging affects the brain and a person’s quality of health and life.
About the author
Dr. Sanjay Gupta is CNN’s Emmy Award–winning chief medical correspondent and the host of the acclaimed podcast Chasing Life (formerly Coronavirus: Fact vs. Fiction), America’s go-to resource for expert advice on how to stay healthy and safe. The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Chasing Life, Cheating Death, Monday Mornings, and Keep Sharp, Dr. Gupta lives in Atlanta, where he works as an associate professor of neurosurgery at the Emory University School of Medicine