Helping Your Child with Extreme Picky Eating 2021
Written by a family doctor specializing in childhood feeding and a speech pathologist, they teach counselors how to help families assure a child’s healthy nutrition and growth, while ending mealtime anxiety and stress. Use with children who only eat dry foods not wet ones, only tortilla chips and other crisp foods, only white foods, or only fast food hamburgers regularly.
A masterpiece of practical strategies, compassion, and reassurance… Jessica Setnick, MS, RD, CEDRD
Compassionate and child-centered advice from true feeding experts. LS, Amazon review
Based on sound research and true understanding of children, gently but confidently guides families through the steps of building a healthy relationship with food. Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, EdD
Level 2 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.2, 2.1.3, 2.1.6, 2.2.2, 2.2.3, 3.2.1, 4.1.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 6.1.2, 8.1.2, 8.3.3
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon completion of this course, a person will be able to:
1. Discuss three characteristics of eating behaviors of young children eating normally.
2. Describe four habits or behaviors of young children classified as picky eaters.
3. Identify three goals of the STEPS program to improve a child’s eating experience.
4. Explain five parents’ behaviors that can negatively influence a child’s eating habits.
5. Discuss two successful ways to increase a child’s intake of fruits and vegetables.
6. Contrast two eating-related responsibilities of the parent from that of the child, according to Ellyn Satter.
7. List three ways families can support and help produce children with healthy appetites and meal habits.
8. Describe two ways parents can help a child manage their desire for “high-interest” foods.
Why we chose this book
This food and eating book educates the dietitian or health professional on their clients’ extreme picky eating food choices and how to influence them to eat better.
About the author
Katja Rowell, MD and Jenny McGlothlin, MS, SLP are a childhood feeding physician and a speech pathologist, respectively, with many years of success with children and families.