Skinny Liver 2020
A silent health crisis is impacting 33% of Americans—nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. If your liver becomes overwhelmed, it can lead to fatigue, weight gain, liver disease, diabetes, and autoimmune disease. Written by an expert integrative RDN and nutrition manager at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute along with a hepatic physician. Kristin gives diet, lifestyle, and supplement guidelines to prevent and even reverse liver issues.
I liked most how the topic and presentation by the author; studies to back up findings, and the plan of action. I highly recommend this course. PDU 3/2020
I really liked the down-to-earth & relevant way it was written. Easy to understand. RD 5/2020
Great book. So complete with steps to ease into changes, menu ideas, recipes, as well as study results and clinical information. Comprehensive and organized. 4/2020
I had never heard of the link between metabolic syndrome and NAFLD. JT 11/2020
I liked everything and found it very informative. SP 2021
Level 2 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.3, 4.1.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.4, 6.1.2, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.5, 8.2.2, 10.2.4
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon successful completion, the users will be able to:
1. Explain three major functions of the liver and their significance in the body.
2. Discuss three ways a person can develop non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
3. Identify two ways stress can make you vulnerable to liver disorders.
4. Identify five drugs or herbs that can be toxic to the liver.
5. Discuss the benefits of exercise on the function and health of the liver.
6. Counsel patients with liver toxicities on how to change their nutrition and lifestyle choices to improve health.
7. Explain a minimum of three components of an anti-inflammatory diet.
8. List four risk factors for metabolic syndrome.
9. Describe two ways in which sleep and sleep disorders are associated with NAFLD.
10. Identify which nutrient deficiency is associated with rapid progression of fatty liver disease.
11. Explain the effect of bariatric surgery on the incidence of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.
Why we chose this book
This book brings new awareness about liver issues that affect a growing number of Americans. The authors are experts and their clinical experience and researched evidence bring unique insight so we can better help our clients.
About the author
Kristin Kirkpatrick, MS, RD, LD is the manager of Nutrition Services at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute.
Ibrahim Hanouneh, MD, is a gastroenterologist and hepatologist with liver transplant experience, now practicing in Minnesota.