The Telomere Effect
New York Times bestselling book. It’s a fascinating mix of cutting-edge science and lifestyle coaching on how the tiny ends of the chromosomes determine how fast our cells age and die. These are ways we can extend our health spans. Of equal importance to food and physical activity, is management of psychological stress with relaxation and meditation.
- (1120) Time and stress management, life balance
- (2000) Science of food and nutrition
- (2050) Genetics
- (2100) Nutritional biochemistry
- (2110) Physiology, exercise physiology
- (4000) Wellness and public health
- (4040) Disease prevention
- (4060) Exercise, fitness, and sports nutrition
- (4090) Health behaviors: smoking cessation, stress management
Level 2 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.3, 4.1.2, 6.1.2, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 10.2.4
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon successful completion, the users will be able to:
1. Explain telomeres and how they function along with telomerase to increase the overall health and wellbeing of a person’s body and longevity.
2. Discuss five influencers that can increase the length of telomeres on chromosomes and help explain the mind-body connection of health.
3. Counsel giving more accurate and individualized nutritional care to patients and clients on how to change their life choices to improve longevity and good health.
4. Use mind tricks to protect themselves from stress.
5. Teach or personally use strategies to protect children from shorter telomeres from pregnancy through adolescence.
- Registered Dietitian (RD/RDN)
- Dietetics Technician Registered (DTR/NDTR)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
- Integrative & Functional Nutrition Academy Professional
This book brings new awareness to health professionals about why we age at such different rates. It explains what we have been teaching for years in wellness, and which factors greatly influence a person’s span of health before decline and death.