Viruses are mutating and becoming resistant to antiviral pharmaceuticals. Global crises and pandemics are happening faster than we can develop medicines to fight them. One answer used for millennia is to make the person’s immune system stronger and less receptive to catching a virus or using certain herbs to fight the spread and severity of the virus.
The book is detailed and technical with 55 pages of Notes and Bibliography as is needed when talking about herbs and health. Extremely timely and interesting! Wonderful to read!
Loved the topic and content. I find learning about viruses and how to possibly treat them naturally fascinating. – Mary L. 4/27/22
I adore this course because I am passionate about plant healing. – Dawn V. 1/22
I found this book incredibly valuable. I am familiar with and utilize several of the herbs in this book, but was introduced to and educated regarding so many more. - CM 2021
I enjoyed all aspects of the material presented. - MV 1/2021
I liked learning that there are actual herbal remedies that may impact viruses. I’ve always been told there isn’t anything we can do for viral infections. - KK 2/2021
This book was very good at looking at herbals on the cellular level. - JH 12/2020
I did personally (find this education valuable) since I prefer alternative medicine over western medicine & pharmaceuticals. - DT 12/20
The thorough explanation of viral etiology, method of infection, & disease progression was very helpful. - SG 10/2020
Level 2 & 3 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.3, 2.1.8, 4.1.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.5, 4.2.6, 4.2.7, 6.1.2, 6.1.5, 6.1.8, 6.2.3, 6.2.5, 6.3.8, 8.1.1, 8.1.5, 8.3.1, 8.3.3, 8.3.4, 8.3.5, 8.3.7, 10.2.9, 10.2.11
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon successful completion of this self-study course, the users will be able to:
1. Describe three physical characteristics of a virus that helps it continue to return and spread.
2. Discuss two reasons for the more frequent emergence of viruses today.
3. Explain why new vaccines must be created each year for influenza.
4. Identify four possible routes of transmission of viruses.
5. Explain three characteristics of influenza: how it spreads, what causes the inflammation, and the cause of death, if the person dies.
6. Describe the action of four herbs that are be taken to specifically fight viruses.
7. Identify the site of viral budding during influenza and describe what happens there.
8. Identify how interferon and cytokines contribute to the virus symptoms.
9. Explain the significance of cytokine production and identify six herbs that can reduce it.
10. Explain how SARS/Corona viruses attach to surface cells.
11. Discuss how melatonin reduces or eliminates the ability of West Nile virus to cause infection.
12. Identify which food has a large amount of tannins and is used in the treatment of viral gastroenteritis.
13. List two positive functions of elderberries in fighting viruses.
14. Describe two benefits of taking ginger in fighting viruses.
15. Discuss the action of the two most important herbs used to fight viral infections.
Why we chose this book
The author is a world-renowned herbal expert. The Herbal Antiviral content is evidence-based. This is an excellent book on this topic.
About the author
Stephen Harrod Buhner is the herbal expert author of Herbal Antivirals, Herbal Antibiotics, and 17 other works. He speaks internationally on herbal medicine, emerging diseases, complex interrelationships in ecosystems, Gaian dynamics, and ecosystem functioning.