Secrets from the Eating Lab
From Dr. Traci Mann, PhD, Director of the University of MN Health and Eating Lab. This book exposes the flawed logic and faulty science behind promotion of dieting for sustainable weight loss. The author gives a realistic, scientifically supported path to achieve fitness and health using key insights and human nature.
- (2000) Science of food and nutrition
- (2020) Composition of foods, nutrient analysis
- (2070) Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- (2110) Physiology, exercise physiology
- (3000) Nutrition assessment & Diagnosis
- (3005) Nutrition Diagnosis
- (3010) Assessment methodology
- (3020) Assessment of target groups, populations
- (3040) Food consumption, fluid balance
- (4000) Wellness and public health
- (4010) Community intervention, monitoring, and evaluation
- (4020) Community program development
- (4030) Dietary guidelines, DRIs, Food Guide Pyramid, food labeling
- (4080) Government-funded Food & Nutrition Programs
- (4090) Health behaviors: smoking cessation, stress management
- (4100) Social Marketing
- (5200) Disordered eating
- (5350) Substance abuse, alcoholism
- (5370) Weight management, obesity
- (5410) Client protocols, clinical guidelines
- (5460) Self-care management
- (6000) Education, Training, and Counseling
- (6010) Behavior change theories, techniques
- (6020) Counseling, therapy, and facilitation skills
- (6030) Education theories and techniques for adults
- (6040) Education theories and techniques for children and adolescents
- (6080) Training, coaching, and mentoring
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.3, 4.4.1, 4.1.2, 6.1.2
Upon successful completion, the users will be able to:
1. Identify and debunk patients’ and other professionals’ misperceptions about willpower and the success of dieting.
2. Discuss the major influences that shape a person’s perceptions, biases, buying habits, and decision-making around food and exercise.
3. Identify ways to help clients eat nutritiously and make healthier food choices.
4. Better assess clients’ food and exercise habits to help guide them in becoming healthy and fit.
- Registered Dietitian (RD/RDN)
- Dietetics Technician Registered (DTR/NDTR)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
- Integrative & Functional Nutrition Academy Professional