GAPS: Gut and Psychology Syndrome
This book was recommended by multiple dietitians who said they used it in practice. Over 500,000 copies of this book have been sold! The author presents research and clinical experience to draw the link between physical and mental health, the foods and beverages we consume, and digestive health. She summarizes the biochemical connections with psychiatric and neurological disorders.
The author gives food and menu suggestions. She discusses how to improve gut flora, detox tissues, live in a cleaner environment, and boost immunity.
- (2000) Science of food and nutrition
- (2010) Botanicals, phytochemicals
- (2020) Composition of foods, nutrient analysis
- (2060) Immunology
- (2070) Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- (2080) Microbiology, food toxicology
- (2090) Micronutrients: vitamins, minerals
- (2100) Nutritional biochemistry
- (3000) Nutrition assessment & Diagnosis
- (3005) Nutrition Diagnosis
- (4000) Wellness and public health
- (4040) Disease prevention
- (5000) Medical Nutrition Therapy
- (5110) Allergies, sensitivities
- (5180) Developmental disorders
- (5200) Disordered eating
- (5220) Gastrointestinal disorders
- (5320) Psychiatric disorders, anxiety
- (5420) Complimentary care, alternative therapies
- (6000) Education, Training, and Counseling
- (6010) Behavior change theories, techniques
- (6020) Counseling, therapy, and facilitation skills
- (8000) Food Service Systems and Culinary Arts
- (8090) Menu planning and development, nutrient analysis
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.3, 4.1.2, 8.3.1, 8.3.5
Upon successful completion of this self-study course, the users will be able to:
1. Better identify the contributing diet factors that commonly interfere with gut health, including five foods to include and five to avoid on the GAPS diet.
2. Explain how gut integrity influences brain function and disease processes.
3. Discuss three benefits of probiotics and fatty and organ meats to GAPS patients.
4. List five influences to boost immunity.
- Registered Dietitian (RD/RDN)
- Dietetics Technician Registered (DTR/NDTR)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Integrative & Functional Nutrition Academy Professional