Pregnancy Complicated by Diabetes, 5th Edition
Please note this course expires 4-30-2019.
The goals are a healthy mother and healthy infant through management of the mother’s diabetes during her pregnancy. Topics include: diagnosis, tools of therapy, psychosocial factors, complications, emerging therapies, and gestational diabetes.
- (2000) Science of food and nutrition
- (2020) Composition of foods, nutrient analysis
- (2070) Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- (2090) Micronutrients: vitamins, minerals
- (3000) Nutrition assessment & Diagnosis
- (3005) Nutrition Diagnosis
- (3010) Assessment methodology
- (3020) Assessment of target groups, populations
- (3030) Anthropometrics, body composition
- (3060) Laboratory tests
- (3070) Pharmacological, drug/nutrient, herbal interaction
- (3080) Physical: blood pressure, pulse, bowel sounds
- (4130) Pregnancy
- (4180) Women's health
- (5000) Medical Nutrition Therapy
- (5060) Neonates
- (5120) Autoimmune diseases, arthritis, lupus
- (5190) Diabetes mellitus
- (5310) Pregnancy complication
- (5370) Weight management, obesity
- (5390) Care planning, documentation, and evaluation
- (5400) Case management
- (5410) Client protocols, clinical guidelines
- (5460) Self-care management
- (6000) Education, Training, and Counseling
- (6010) Behavior change theories, techniques
- (6020) Counseling, therapy, and facilitation skills
- (6030) Education theories and techniques for adults
Levels 1 & 2
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.3, 4.1.2, 6.1.2, 10.2.4
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon successful completion of this self-study course, the users will be able to:
1. Discuss three major complications that can occur when a pregnant woman also must deal with type 1, type 2, or gestational diabetes.
2. Identify ways to help clients eat a nutritious diet while learning to improve control of their blood sugar levels through the timing of meals and medication, types and quantities of food, and physical activity.
3. Better assess clients’ needs and interventions to help guide them through the various stages of the pregnancy and handle any complications.
- Registered Dietitian (RD/RDN)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Integrative & Functional Nutrition Academy Professional
This new 5th edition has a new editor who kept the best of the last edition and added more on gestational diabetes and diabetes management during labor and delivery. This book is evidence-based and highly regarded in its field.