This book exposes the flawed logic behind promotion of dieting for sustainable weight loss. After explaining the physiology of reversing insulin resistance, controlling appetite, and retraining fat cell function, the author has an eating plan and recipes to reverse the problems. The solutions are based upon Dr. David Ludwig’s weight loss research at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
- (2000) Science of food and nutrition
- (2020) Composition of foods, nutrient analysis
- (2070) Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- (2110) Physiology, exercise physiology
- (3000) Nutrition assessment & Diagnosis
- (3005) Nutrition Diagnosis
- (3010) Assessment methodology
- (3020) Assessment of target groups, populations
- (3040) Food consumption, fluid balance
- (3090) Screening parameters, methodology, and surveillance
- (4000) Wellness and public health
- (4010) Community intervention, monitoring, and evaluation
- (4020) Community program development
- (4030) Dietary guidelines, DRIs, Food Guide Pyramid, food labeling
- (4080) Government-funded Food & Nutrition Programs
- (4090) Health behaviors: smoking cessation, stress management
- (4100) Social Marketing
- (5200) Disordered eating
- (5350) Substance abuse, alcoholism
- (5370) Weight management, obesity
- (5410) Client protocols, clinical guidelines
- (5460) Self-care management
Level 2 CPE
Suggested Performance Indicators: 2.1.3, 4.4.1, 4.1.2, 6.1.2
CPE Type: 720 for Printed/Paper Tests, 740 for Web-based/Online Tests
Upon successful completion, the users will be able to:
1. Identify and debunk patients’ and other professionals’ misperceptions about the success of dieting for long term weight loss.
2. Discuss the major influences that shape a person’s craving for food, appetite control, resistance to insulin function, and decision-making around food.
3. Identify ways to help clients eat nutritiously and make healthier food choices in order to better control hunger and weight.
- Registered Dietitian (RD/RDN)
- Dietetics Technician Registered (DTR/NDTR)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
- Integrative & Functional Nutrition Academy Professional
This book brings new awareness to dietitians about why weight loss is so difficult, and which factors greatly influence a person’s hunger quantity that people eat. The author is highly qualified and his plan has been tested for success in a research setting.